Zulfi resigns as PM’s aide

0
51 views

-Says stepping down until his name was cleared in RRR project scam
-Aviation Minister also denies involvement in the same scam

By Uzma Zafar

Islamabad: Special Assistant to the Prime Minister on Overseas Pakistanis Zulfi Bukhari has resigned from his position over the allegations levelled against him in the Rawalpindi Ring Road (RRR) project scam, he announced on Monday.
In a tweet, Bukhari said he was stepping down until his name was cleared of “any allegations and media’s obnoxious lies”.
He recalled Prime Minister Imran Khan as saying that “if a person has been named rightly or wrongly in any inquiry he should cease to hold any public office till his name has been cleared of charges.”
“Owing to the allegations in ongoing Ring Road inquiry I want to set this example by resigning from office until my name is cleared up of any allegations and media’s obnoxious lies,” he wrote.
The premier’s aide reiterated that he had “nothing to do” with the Ring Road or any other ongoing real estate project. “This time the inquiry should be done by capable personnel, I endorse a judicial inquiry,” he said. On Saturday, Prime Minister Imran ordered a full-fledged inquiry into the RRR project scam after which the Punjab government decided to send the case to the Federal Investigation Agency (FIA) or the National Accountability Bureau (NAB) for thorough investigation.
The decisions were taken as two fact-finding reports, one by the Rawalpindi commissioner and the other by the deputy commissioner, landed at the prime minister office, with the second report hinting that the project had been realigned with the approval of Punjab Chief Minister Usman Buzdar and his finance adviser Dr Salman Shah.
However, the PML-N demanded action against the relevant authorities for approving the ring road’s realignment, asserting that neither Chief Minister Buzdar and Prime Minister Imran nor “direct beneficiaries” such as cabinet members Ghulam Sarwar Khan and Bukhari should be exempted.
PML-N deputy secretary general Attaullah Tarar had alleged that both Bukhari and Khan had received huge financial benefits through the ring road project because their lands were near the project.
Meanwhile, Federal Aviation Minister Ghulam Sarwar Khan on Monday categorically denied that he or his family had any links with the housing societies from which the government acquired land for the Rawalpindi Ring Road (RRR) project.
He made the comments during a press conference in Islamabad in which he said he and his family would “leave politics for life if it is proved that even one marla from the starting point to end point [of the RRR] belongs to me, my brother, my son, or any member of my family”.
Khan said he would issue a defamation notice to the person who had levelled allegations against him and challenged him to prove that land acquired for the project was ever taken, sold or kept by the minister. “A lot of politicians and bureaucrats have linkages with housing societies. People from the journalist community have linkages too. I do not have any linkage. My family has no linkage with any society or any monetary benefit from a society.”
Khan’s comments came days after Prime Minister Imran Khan ordered an inquiry into the RRR project scam after which the Punjab government decided to send the case to the Federal Investigation Agency (FIA) or the National Accountability Bureau (NAB) for thorough investigation. The decisions were taken after two fact-finding reports, one by the Rawalpindi commissioner and the other by the deputy commissioner, landed in the prime minister’s office, with the second report hinting that the project had been realigned with the approval of Punjab Chief Minister Usman Buzdar and his finance adviser Dr Salman Shah.
However, the opposition PML-N demanded action against the relevant authorities for approving the ring road’s realignment, asserting that neither CM Buzdar and PM Khan nor “direct beneficiaries” such as cabinet members Khan and PM’s aide Zulfi Bokhari must be exempted.
PML-N deputy secretary general Attaullah Tarar had alleged both Bokhari and Khan had got huge financial benefits through the ring road project because their lands were near the project.
In his press conference today, Khan said that he would issue a defamation notice to the person who had “used such language against me and my family”. He added that he was ready to face all allegations if the person approached the courts with documentary evidence though it was unclear whether he was referring to PML-N’s Tarar or journalist Imran Khan who the minister claimed had “made the [RRR project’s] alignment a scandal and made an effort to link him with it”.
“We have no connection to [change in the project’s] alignment. We have no financial stake in any society. The alignment has not been changed on our whim,” he emphasised. Talking about the inquiry committee that investigated the scam, Khan said that the report finalised by the convener of the committee — the Rawalpindi commissioner — had not been endorsed by two members of the four-person committee who submitted a separate report.
“The inquiry report sent by the convener to the chief minister, on which the CM [and] provincial government took action, was controversial,” he claimed.