Terrorists killed after storming Karachi Police Headquarters

-Security Forces clear KPO Building on Sharea Faisal, killing at least 3 terrorists
-During nearly 4 hours operation four people also martyred, number injured
-Terrorists breached the 5-storey KPO Building near Saddar Police Station on Sharea Faisal at 7:10pm

From Zeeshan Mirza

KARACHI: The Office of the Karachi Police Chief, which came under attack on Friday evening by armed militants, has been cleared, officials said, adding that at least three terrorists had been killed.
“I can so far confirm that the Karachi Police Office (KPO) building has been cleared. Three terrorists have been neutralised,” said Sindh government spokesperson Murtaza Wahab on Twitter at 10:42pm, three-and-a-half hours after the attack occurred.
Speaking to media separately, he reiterated that the building had been secured.
He said that the bomb disposal squad was checking if the jackets worn by the terrorists were rigged to detonate.
A spokesperson for the Sindh Rangers added the operation had been completed and the process of clearing the area was under way. DIG East Muqaddas Haider, who was among the senior officers leading the operation, told media, that there were a total of three attackers who arrived at the KPO in a Corolla.
Haider said that one of the attackers blew himself up on the building’s fourth floor while two others were shot dead on the roof.
In a statement, a spokesperson for the Karachi police said that all three terrorists who attacked the KPO had been killed in the operation.
The spokesperson said that this was a “major operation” in which senior police officials, including the South and East DIGs, had participated alongside the Rangers and the army.
“With grace of Almighty Allah, the KPO and surrounding areas have been cleared of the terrorists completely and further information will be shared with the media soon,” the police statement said.
Reports of firing on Sharea Faisal — Karachi’s main thoroughfare with a number of strategic installations, including the Pakistan Airforce’s Faisal Base — emerged around 7:15pm. Extra police contingents and Rangers were called to the site of the attack.
Speaking to media, Sindh Chief Minister Murad Ali Shah said that the attack took place around 7:10pm. He said that the city police chief was not currently in Karachi.
Sharea Faisal had also been closed for traffic while the operation was ongoing with the Sindh government spokesperson requesting citizens to remain where they were.
The Saddar police station, located next to the police chief’s office, had also issued a statement saying it had come under attack. “SHO, PI Khalid Hussain Memon said that unknown accused [attacked] Saddar police station near Karachi Police Office. Firing is going on everywhere,” the initial statement had said.
Overseas cricket players are currently competing in the Pakistan Super League, and Karachi is one of the host cities. There is a game scheduled for Saturday (today).
The Sindh government spokesperson said according to the latest information available, four people had been killed. The deceased included two policemen, one Rangers official and one civilian.
He added that 14 people had been injured and were being given medical treatment. “Out of the injured, one person is critical while the condition of 13 injured persons is stable,” Wahab said.
Police surgeon, Dr Summaiya Syed said that the bodies of a police constable and a civilian were brought to the Jinnah Postgraduate Medical Centre (JPMC).
Dr Syed added that 12 wounded people, including five police and six Rangers personnel were also brought in with gunshot injuries. One of the wounded is an Edhi worker. The wounded also include police and Rangers personnel.
The outlawed Tehreek-i-Taliban Pakistan (TTP) claimed the attack in a statement issued by its spokesperson Mohammad Khurasani.
Speaking on yesterday’s attack, Interior Minister Rana Sanaullah told media that the government was under the impression that the terrorists did not have access beyond KP and Balochistan. “But now we can see they can reach other cities,” he said.
Meanwhile, Prime Minister Shehbaz Sharif took notice and sought a report on the incident. He appreciated the police and security forces for their effective action against the “terrorists”.
He instructed the interior minister to extend the federal government’s full cooperation in the clean-up operation. He underlined the need for collective action to root out the menace of terrorism. He added that terrorists had once again targeted Karachi but said that these kind of cowardly acts would not weaken the resolve of law enforcement agencies.
President Dr Arif Alvi also strongly condemned the attack and prayed for the speedy recovery of the injured persons. “The entire nation stands with its security forces against terrorists,” he said. “Efforts will continue to eradicate the scourge of terrorism.”