Police kill youth in Karachi: Family appeals to CJP, COAS for justice

KARACHI: The family of a 19-year-old boy killed by police firing in Karachi have appealed to the chief justice of Pakistan and the chief of army staff for justice.

Speaking to media, DIG Crime Investigation Agency (CIA) Saqib Ismail confirmed that personnel of the Sindh police’s Anti-Car Lifting Cell (ACLC) had shot dead the young man on Khayaban-e-Ittehad road in the city’s upscale Defence Housing Authority area.

The police had earlier maintained that the youth, identified as Intezar Ahmed, was killed in firing by unidentified assailants on motorcycles. However, it was later disclosed that the law enforcement authorities opened fire at Ahmed’s car after he failed to stop his vehicle despite their instructions.

“There was deployment of the Anti-Car Lifting Cell there. They [ACLC personnel] opened fire on the car, which hit them. We are looking into this matter,” DIG Saqib Ismail told reporters outside the Jinnah Postgraduate Medical Centre.

The CIA official said that the deceased’s father can register a case against the police officials.
Later, a case was registered at the Darakshan Police Station against unidentified persons, despite the fact that four policemen were taken into custody due to their alleged involvement in the case.
The deceased’s father, Ishtiaq Ahmed, informed the media that Intezar, who had recently come back from Malaysia, had a fight with two men two days back — Fahad and Haider, sons of a lawyer and policeman, respectively.
SSP South Javed Akbar said that 15 bullet cases of 9mm were recovered from the crime scene, adding that a girl was also with the deceased, who fled after the incident.

There was a clear intention to kill, says father

Speaking to the media at a press conference, the counsel for the victim’s family Mohammad Asif said the boy was in a conscious state until a few hours before the incident and was at a friend’s house.
“There was a clear intention to kill,” said the lawyer, explaining that bullet holes in the car show the police aimed to kill and not stop him.
He also complained that 3-4 hours after the incident, no police officer recorded the parents’ statements.
Speaking to the media, Intezar’s father said: “I want justice, I want the killers of my son”.
Expressing zero faith in the police, he said he only trusts the chief justice of Pakistan and army chief to deliver justice.

The victim’s parents informed the media that their son, an only child, was 19 years old and studying at a university in Malaysia after completing his O and A levels from City School, Darakshan.

Intezar had come to Pakistan for his winter break on November 29, they informed further.

He will be buried today.

CM takes notice, demands daily progress reports

Sindh Chief Minister Murad Ali Shah took notice of the incident following the victim’s parents’ press conference.

The additional inspector general of police (AIG), DIG South and other officials were summoned to the CM House, informed a government spokesperson.

The AIG informed the chief minister that officials of the ACLC and SHO have been detained in the case.

The chief minister directed the police to ensure proper investigation of the case and directed for daily progress reports, informed the spokesperson.