KARACHI: Eight children suffered burns as their school van caught fire near the metropolis’ Orangi Town area.
Fourteen children were en route to their school located in Nazimabad when the van caught fire near Qatar Hospital in Orangi Town, police said.
Six children were shifted to Civil Hospital burns ward while two others were treated at Qatar Hospital. The children were said to be aged between seven to 10 years.
“Of the six children brought to Civil Hospital burns ward, four were sent home after being given immediate treatment and two have been admitted. The two children who have been admitted suffered severe burns but are out of danger,” said Dr Ahmer, incharge of the burns centre.
Eyewitnesses said the school van got stuck in mud after the last child was picked up from his house near Qatar Hospital. “Some children and the driver were trying to push the van when it suddenly caught fire. The children sitting in the van at the time suffered burns,” eyewitnesses added.
As per initial reports, there was a short circuit in the van which led to it catching fire. Police ruled out that the fire was caused by a gas cylinder explosion. “There was a LPG cylinder in the van which is in perfect condition,” police said.