Death toll of Karachi Police Chief office attack rises to 5

From Zeeshan Mirza

KARACHI: The death toll of the audacious attack on the Karachi Police Office (KPO) rose to five on Sunday while a first information report (FIR) was registered under terrorism charges against the perpetrators and their facilitators.
The hours-long combat between terrorists and law-enforcement agencies — comprising Pak Army Special Service Group (SSG), Pakistan Rangers Sindh and Sindh Police — on Friday at the KPO located at Sharea Faisal left four people martyred and 18 injured. All three terrorists belonging to the banned militant group Tehreek-i-Taliban Pakistan (TTP) were killed.
Earlier today, a police officer injured during the attack succumbed to his injuries during treatment. A statement from the Sindh police spokesperson said that Abdul Latif, 50, had embraced martyrdom.
He had joined the police in 2014 on ex-army quota and was performing his duty at the Special Security Unit. He left behind a widow and seven children, including six daughters.
The martyred policeman’s funeral prayers were held at police headquarters in Garden, which was attended by Sindh Chief Minister Murad Ali Shah, Sindh chief secretary, Sindh Inspector General of Police (IG) Ghulam Nabi Memon and other senior officials.

CM Shah and IG Memon met with the victim’s heirs and appreciated the bravery of the martyred officer.

The IG also chaired a meeting to ensure “foolproof security” at Police Lines and other important installations, according to the police spokesperson.

Memon directed the officers to enhance security at police lines and mosques situated there.

“Specific focus should be given to important government offices, buildings and training centres etc,” the IG ordered, adding that all security steps should be made enhanced as the protection of citizens’ life and property was the police’s first priority.

“The KPO incident was blood-curdling and the investigation should be brought to its logical conclusion,” Memon said. The IG pointed out that a high-powered committee had been formed for the investigation.

He also directed the officers to take care of the families of the martyred and that quality treatment should be provided to all injured persons.
Memon also visited the Aga Khan University Hospital to check on those injured in the attack.