China, India bring the big guns in Ladakh standoff

0
49 views

DM Monitoring

NEW DELHI: Both the Indian and Chinese armies continued to stand their ground in eastern Ladakh, with both sides bringing in the big guns and heavy machinery at the disputed territory.
The report states that the Indian Army is doing the same and deploying additional troops along with heavy machinery at the border. Sources said the Indian Army plans to keep on matching China’s aggressive posturing till its troops receded from Pangong Tso, Galwan Valley and other areas.
The same report said that the Indian Air Force is keeping a keen eye on the evolving situation through aerial surveillance.
India blames China for escalating tensions by crossing over into its territory
India claims Chinese troops aggravated tensions by moving into the Pangong Tso and Galwan Valley areas earlier this month. India says the Chinese Army has bolstered its presence in Demchok and Daulat Beg Oldie areas as well where disputes are known to take place between the two sides.
On May 6, the troops from both sides clashed and hurled stones at each other, which also injured several other people.
There have been long-running border tensions between the nuclear-armed neighbours, with a bitter war fought over India´s northeastern-most state of Arunachal Pradesh in 1962.
“Aggressive behaviour by the two sides resulted in minor injuries to troops. It was stone-throwing and arguments that ended in a fistfight,” Indian Army Eastern Command spokesman Mandeep Hooda had told on May 10.
The “stand-off” at Naku La sector near the 15,000-feet (4,572-metre) Nathu La crossing in the northeastern state of Sikkim — which borders Bhutan, Nepal and China was later resolved after “dialogue and interaction” at a local level, Hooda had revealed.
“Temporary and short duration face-offs between border-guarding troops do occur as boundaries are not resolved,” he had said.
Some 150 soldiers were involved in the face-off, the Press Trust of India had reported.
Earlier, Defence Minister Rajnath Singh on Saturday said bilateral talks were on at military and diplomatic levels with China to resolve the row. The trigger for the face-off was China’s opposition to India laying a key road in the finger area around Pangong Tso Lake, besides construction of another road connecting Darbuk-Shayok-Daulat Beg Oldie road in Galwan Valley.
The sources said China was also laying a road in the finger area, which is not acceptable to India.
The sources said military reinforcements including troops, vehicles and artillery guns were sent to eastern Ladakh by the Indian Army to shore up its presence in the areas where Chinese soldiers were resorting to aggressive posturing.
The situation in eastern Ladakh deteriorated after around 250 Chinese and Indian soldiers were engaged in a face-off on May 5, which spilled over to the next day before the two sides agreed to “disengage”.